Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Evolution of "Festival Sunset Dance" by Diana Moses Botkin


Original oil on hardboard
20"x16" in black and gold frame

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin

On my last post here, I said I'd share how I developed this painting for The Festival in Sandpoint.

Because there was not a predetermined theme, the creation and execution of the idea was entirely up to me.

So, how did this painting evolve? The only guidelines I had were to paint something 20"x16" or larger (a LOT bigger than my daily paintings!), and a deadline of only a few weeks away (not much time for a large piece!). The race was on.

I wound up doing 7 studies to get a plan that I felt was good. All this time, the clock was ticking for the deadline. Stay tuned to see the studies!

This blog post is the "short version", so if you'd like to read more about my process, you'll find the full account at my own blog. And if you would like to get in on the bidding for the original painting, simply call The Festival office at (888) 265-4554 or show up at the concerts August 4-14 and place a bid. Signed posters of my art will also be available.

No comments:

Post a Comment