Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Evolution of "Festival Sunset Dance" by Diana Moses Botkin, Part 1


I told you I'd share about my process for my finished art for The Festival in Sandpoint.

These are the first two studies I did, using my references from the photo shoot with my young friends who danced and jumped in the evening light.

(left)
"Sundown Dance"
Original oil on hardboard
10"x8"
unframed

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


(left)
"Afternoon Dance"
Original oil on hardboard
8"x6" unframed

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


I had envisioned dancers at sunset near Lake Pend Oreille in Sandpoint, which is the setting for The Festival.

The first study was pretty much what was in my mind but it seemed like too many dancers once I painted it. So, I tried another study with a smaller group of dancers and a simpler afternoon sky, with more focus on the dancers.

Neither felt quite right for The Festival art, although they were fun paintings. Stay tuned to see where I went next with my idea.

By the way, these studies are for sale. Please visit my DailyPainters Gallery page to purchase either of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment